Sunday, April 11, 2010

Centering

Movements of the Week:

Body-centering exercises from the Nia Technique

Ex#1 Step-in Triangle Focus - This is an excellent movement meditation to begin any practice with. The intention is to practice the art of becoming body-centered. Consciously tune into what movement forms you will integrate (eg. Aikido) and what you will focus your mind and intention on during your dance. (eg. centering)


Ex#2 Slow-Clock Step- Imagine stepping into the center of a clock or compass. Then practice moving from the center, and returning to center with simple and precise foot work. Pay special attention to how the foot is placed in each of the directions. Once your feet know where to step, allow this simple movement meditation to become a dance!



This week we focused on "Centering" in our dance. We used the martial art form of Aikido to energize our movments. O Sensei, the father of Aikido would say to his students, "The only difference between you and me is that I return to center faster than you."
Center is a source of energy, creativity, and balance. Center is the place where you have access to both power and grace.

Although the main center of the body is the hara, located about one inch below the belly button and in the center between your belly and back, you can focus on many centers throughout the body. In our dance we found the center in our breath, our feet, the palms of our hands, and in our hearts.

Today, I am practicing a form of Self-Centering. I created a sacred space in the garden just for me. My intention was to connect with my center. My focus was my heart. First I cleared the space, raking away dead leaves and branches. Then I began to "altar" the flowers, playing with each of them and delighting in the song that seemed to be "singing me". Prrrimmmrossssesss...
The flowers danced into a heart shape, and in the center I placed stones in the 5 directions. Each of them representing aspects I am finding my own center in. As I practice the "slo-clock" movement meditation, I imagine blending into the space in each direction, and embodying the energy of the sacred stones I placed there.

Hummingbird came to dance in the sunshine with me, reminding me of the JOY I feel when I'm at peace in my center. Ahhhhhh....I am so grateful for the gifts of spring.

Choosing consciously to connect to and move from your own center is an excellent way to create the sensation of dynamic ease. This is what we'll focus on next week!

With JOY,
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment