Monday, April 5, 2010

Balance

The Body Demands Balance

Movements of the week! These are 2 movement tools from the Nia technique to support balance. (the lighting could use a bit of "balance" in these videos...but I trust they are still useful :)


Balance Finger- Also known as the power finger in Nia. Imagine the middle fingers having very strong magnets connecting to the earth.


Cat Stance- Pay special attention to the supporting leg: whole foot on earth, knee soft and springloaded. Have fun! MEOOOOOOW!



"The body demands balance." This is one of the five basic principles of the Nia Technique. Let’s check this out. The body’s design reflects this innate balance. We have 2 arms, legs, eyes, ears, lungs, kidneys, ovaries, testicles, brain hemispheres…all creating balance between right and left sides. Balance also appears between the major organs with the heart on the left and the liver on the right, and between the upper and lower body.

The body receives oxygen by inhaling and releases carbon dioxide on the exhale maintaining equilibrium. If we take in too much oxygen we can hyperventilate. Where else do you notice the body’s design supporting balance?


In my movement practice, I aspire to create equal balance between right and left and top and bottom, and with yin (feminine) and yang (masculine) movement energies.


This morning I was reminded to give equal attention to creating balance in my life when I pulled the BALANCE card.

As an angel I know I must take time to coordinate my life. If too many things weigh me down then I am unable to fly. In seeking balance I find my centre – centred, balanced, I may soar. ~ Virtue Cards


Being blessed with an abundance of creative inspirations, a loving husband, an amazing community, a beautiful island, and more..., I have no shortage of opportunities to over extend myself or take on "too much" . Sorting the "shoulds" from the "want to's" and the "have to's" and the "could do's" sometimes seems overwhelming. This is where a personal "centering" practice becomes so important.

One simple and effective practice I use is a heart centering tool from HeartMath.
My mother in law, Faye Fentiman, taught me this years ago and it continues to bring balance to my life.

Try it!

HeartMath "Neutral Tool"

Heart focus-
bring your attention to your heart, I place my hand over my heart and feel the beating.

Heart Breathing-
begin breathing in and out of your heart.

By adding the third step below, you are practicing the "Quick Coherence Technique"

Heart Feeling-
add a heart band feeling...care, appreciation, compassion...Faye always suggests thinking about a loved pet (I think of my cute little dog, Roxy!)


Next week in class we will continue to explore Balance by focusing on CENTER.
What centering practice do you use to support balance in your life?









No comments:

Post a Comment